Office: 257 Murray Hall
Spring 2017 Office Hours: Tuesday and Thursday 1:00 to 2:30 pm and by appointment.
- BA University of Rochester
- Ph.D. SUNY University at Buffalo
- Ethical Theory
- Applied Ethics
- Nonviolence Theory
- Philosophy of Religion
- 2004 Arts & Sciences Junior Faculty Award
- First Place, Essay Competition, 2014 Writing Competition of the Oklahoma Writers’ Federation, Inc. For “Slumber Parties.”
- 2014 Outstanding Writer Award, Rose State Writing Conference (won first place in both Young Adult Fiction and General Fiction)
- God’s Final Victory: A Comparative Philosophical Case for Universalism. With John Kronen. Continuum Publishers (September 2011). Continuum Studies in Philosophy of Religion series.
- Is God a Delusion? A Reply to Religion’s Cultured Despisers. Wiley-Blackwell (December 2009)
- Named a Choice Outstanding Academic Title of 2009
- “A Deontological Theodicy? Swinburne’s Lapse and the Problem of Moral Evil,” in Faith and Philosophy vol. 31 (2014), pp. 181-203.
- “Wisdom and Ethics in a Modern Land Grant University.” With Scott Gelfand and Steve Harrist. In The Modern Land Grant University, ed. Robert J Sternberg (Purdue University Press, 2014), pp. 315-330.
- “Species of Hell.” With John Kronen. In The Problem of Hell: A Philosophical Anthology, ed. Joel Buenting (Ashgate Publishers, 2010), pp. 199-218.
- “Moving the Goal Posts? The Challenge of Philosophical Engagement with the Public God Debates,” in Philo: A Journal of Philosophy vol. 13 (2010), pp. 80-93.
- “Defining Terrorism for Public Policy Purposes: The Group-Target Definition,” in Journal of Moral Philosophy vol. 7 (2010), pp. 253-278.
- Reprinted in Just War Theory, Brill (2013)
- Reprinted in Global Justice and International Affairs, Brill (2012)
OTHER RECENT ARTICLES
- “Does NIH Head Francis Collins Believe in Intelligent Design?” In Religion Dispatches, February 4, 2014.
- Scholarly Dialogue: “Chris Tilling and Eric Reitan on Universalism.” The Evangelical Universalist Forum, March-November 2012.
- “Santorum’s War on Satan…er, on Higher Education.” In Religion Dispatches, February 28, 2012.
- “Beyond Retribution: Bin Laden’s Death in its Cosmic Context.” Religion Dispatches, May 5, 2011.
- “Unreasonable Doubt: Vincent Bugliosi Defends Agnosticism.” Religion Dispatches, April 18, 2011.
- “Pastor Rob Bell Catches Hell from Conservatives.” Religion Dispatches, March 3, 2011.
- “Gay Suicide and the Ethic of Love: A Progressive Christian Response.” Religion Dispatches, October 12, 2010. Reprinted in The Humanist, January/February 2011.
More writings can be found on his blog: www.thepietythatliesbetween.blogspot.com
SPRING 2017 CLASS SCHEDULE
- Philosophies of Life (H) - 23593 - PHIL 1213
9:00 am - 10:15 am TR Engineering South 302
- Business Ethics (H) - 23694 - PHIL 3803
10:30 am - 11:45 am TR Human Sciences 303